The romantic scene of an outdoor fire is an idyllic thought for many and there’s nothing like the comfort of a crackling warm, natural fire. A lot of people have fond memories of socialising around a fire, whether that’s sitting around a campfire roasting marshmallows, or simply spending time with your nearest and dearest.
Now, thanks to the latest trend for fire pits, you can not only experience the warmth and atmosphere of an outdoor fire, but you can also be confident that it will look great and be perfectly safe for you and your family.
Fire Pit Reviews
- Landmann Savannah Garden Light Fire Pit
- Price: $
- Material: Steel Construction
- Assembly Required: No
- Dimensions: 24.25 x 25 x 28.5 inches
- Other Features: 360 degree viewing of the fire, spark screen and poker included
- Napoleon Grills St. Tropez Rectangle Patioflame Table
- Price : $$$
- Material: Aluminium Construction
- Assembly Required: Yes, but easy
- Dimensions: 36 x 56 x 23 in
- Other Features: Easy start ignition, Gas automatic safety shutoff
- Uniflame Firehouse with Chimney
- Price : $$
- Material: Steel Construction
- Assembly: Yes - no tools required
- Dimensions: 25 x 45.3 x 20.5 inches
- Other Features: Exhaust control, removable ash receiver for easy cleaning
- Sunnydaze Square Northern Galaxy Fire Pit
- Price: $$
- Material: Steel Construction
- Assembly: Yes- easy
- Dimensions: 32 inches long x 32 inches
- Other Features: Cooking Grate, Spark Screen, Chrome Cooking Grate
What Types of Pits are available?
There are a wide variety of different pits available for purchase, varying in style, size and the type of fuel used to operate them. In terms of style, there are the more traditional wrought iron, hand crafted pits and the more exotic kadai, or fire bowls and the choice is entirely down to your own personal taste. However, you will often find that the more traditional pits are larger, while fire bowls are perhaps more suitable for smaller gardens or backyards, therefore, this is definitely something to consider when choosing the right outdoor heating.
What are the Features of the Best Fire Pits?
Just like the size and style of your pit, there are many other features you will want to be aware of, as these can often separate the poor fire pits from the best on offer, this includes:
Materials – There are many different materials used to create outdoor heating pits, this includes ceramic, stone, wrought iron and copper. You will often find that high quality metals such as copper and iron last longer and retain their heat far better than other materials such as stone. Although, the stone and ceramic style is the preference for many people, so don’t let longevity be the only factor.
Cooking – Some pits come with added features such as grills and windows, which allow you to easily cook, BBQ and roast food, perfect for family get togethers during the summer, or for sharing some marshmallows on cold winter nights.
Open or closed? – This also links into style choice, but there are fire pits that are open giving you that natural campfire feel, yet they won’t retain heat as well as closed pits such as bowls. So this is something to bear in mind if you want a pit that will provide a good amount of heat and efficiency.
What Type of Pit is the Right Choice for you?
The exact fire pit or bowl you choose needs to be assessed on a personal basis, and you need to think of your own and your family’s needs. For example, if you have a small garden or outdoor area a fire bowl or pot will probably be a better option than a larger square, fire box style which is often at least 20-30 diameters.
Another factor is the type of fuel you want to use. The majority of pits require wood logs or pellets and sometimes charcoal, which offer the natural crackle and warmth that many people are searching for. However, these don’t offer the portability and conveience that propane and gas fuelled pits do. These are usually a box-style and equipped with an acccess point where you can easily replace the fuel tank. As well as the lack of the idealistic crackles, propane doesn’t disperse heat as well as more solid fuels like logs and coal.
Possible Pit Falls and Safety Issues
It may sound obvious but a fire pit is burning fuel and producing an intense amount of heat that should not be underestimated. Therefore, always ensure you keep a safe distance between your pit and other structures such as walls, fences and your home. In addition, ensure you only ever use your pit on hard, inflammable surfaces such as the ground or stone surfaces, as things like decking are of course likely to catch fire.
You will also want to consider the embers, ash and sparks that can easily escape the fire. As a result, always ensure you use your spark cover when you are not cooking or adding more fuel, this extra precaution will ensure there are no nasty surprises or damaged property. You may also want to consider a fire proof matt as an extra precaution.
The following steps should be followed to keep you and your loved ones safe:
- Always keep the pit a safe distance away from property and potentially flammable objects
- Always use a poker and other tools to add fuel or rearrange hot logs, coal and ash
- Never breath in the smoke from the fire
When shopping for the perfect pit you have a lot to consider. Firstly you will want to think about portability, do you intend on moving it with ease? If so, consider buying a smaller bowl design that uses propane or gas. Next is style, which is entirely down to personal taste. Finally, you will want to think about function, do you simply want a warm, crackling fire to light up your garden and keep you warm? Then a normal pit is great, however, if you want to cook, consider a pit that comes with extras such as a grill.
Outland Firebowl Premium Portable Propane Fire Pit
If you are looking for a high quality, top rated and portable pit, then this stunningly designed fire by Outland is the best option. The use of propane as the fuel means that this pit is convenient for travelling and requires minimal cleaning and maintenance. In addition, the the sturdy design requires no tools to assemble, is extremely lightweight and comes with a handy carry strap, making it the ideal portable fire. Although propane and gas pits are notorious for giving off less heat than other fuels, this pit has great reviews and easily gets hot enough to roast marshmallows!
- Auto-ignition feature ensures a fast and simple startup
- Includes cover/carry kit and decorative rock kit for an authentic campfire feel
- Lightweight and portable
Landman 26364 23-1/2-inch Savannah Garden Light Fire Pit, Black
This is one of the most popular fire bowls online, offering a beautiful and sturdy design. A great feature is the 360 degree views thanks to the mesh like design, creating a great ambient, especially in the evenings. It also comes partially assembled, meaning that the remaining assembly is incredibly easy and at 22 pounds you can be confident that it won’t be moved easily, especially once loaded with the fuel of your choice. It also comes with a very snug spark screen to prevent any ash or sparks from harming you or your loved ones. One downside to this pit is that is does not come with any added bonuses such as grills and it is also quite open meaning it will not keep it’s heat as well as other designs, but it’s definitely a pretty good choice for the average shopper.
- Large 23-1/2-Inch Fire Bowl
- Sturdy steel construction designed for easy assembly
- Spark screen and poker included
- Provides 360 degree viewing of the fire
- Attractive, decorative cutouts on fire box create an incredible ambience at night
Sunnydaze 30 Inch FireBowl Fire Pit With Handles and Spark Screen
Another great option is this top rated and solidly designed fire pit, which as well as offering a unique, industrial design, also offers a pit that retains more heat for longer, thanks to its enclosed, steel base, painted with black high-temperature paint, accented with brass-colored highlights. Another neat feature is the two holes in the bottom to allow for drainage and easy cleaning, as well as the handles that make lifting and moving the unit easier.
- 1-year manufacturer’s warranty for worry-free purchasing
- Fire pit is engineered to last: It features steel construction and black high-temperature paint, accented with brass-colored highlights. Plus, “Brass tack”-style detailing surrounds the perimeter of the top rim, accentuating its “industrial” aesthetics
- Includes a 20″ wood-handled poker, a 29″ mesh spark screen, and a 17.5′ wood grate
- Everything needed to use the unit right out of the box
Sunnydaze 30 Inch Cosmic Fire Pit with Cooking Grill and Spark Screen
If you are looking for a fire pit that provides the option of grilling food with ease then this beautifully designed cosmic fire pit is the perfect option. The removable grill allows you to cook food and can be easily removed if you just want to sit back and relax around the fire. In addition, the star and moon cut outs add a nice touch, allowing the fire to breath and providing you with views of the fire. Like the other fire pits, it also comes equipped with a handy spark screen for added safety, as well as a rail around the fire pit makes the fire pit easier to move and clean.
- Includes spark screen, poker/lifting tool, built-in wood grate and cooking grate for a complete fire pit kit
- Fire pit is made from steel and finished with rustic patina high temperature paint for long-lasting durability, functionality and quality
- 1-year manufacturer’s warranty