Ecosmart is a company that focuses solely on manufacturing products that center around green energy technology. Their main goal is to produce efficient and economic quality green energy products for consumers.
Ecosmart is one of the great forward thinking brands providing some of the best tankless water heaters on the market that provides endless hot water. All the Ecosmart water heaters have patented and self-modulated technology, which means it would heat the water when you’re using the unit and save the energy otherwise. Ecosmart owner reviews show the quality of products they produce.
Common Ecosmart Tankless Water Heater Features
The following are some of the main features of most of the Ecosmart tankless water heaters:
The incredible design of all Ecosmart tankless water heaters lend themselves to being space-saving and having the ability to be installed easily.
Ecosmart It has an incredible art technology that provides a sleek and wall-mounted design that has revolutionized the water heaters industry. With the simple design, the Ecosmart tankless water heaters provide great durability, functionality, and serviceability.
The self-modulation technology and design of Ecosmart tankless water heaters provide incredible savings on electric bills. Its energy consumption control base on the minimum flow rate in which a unit gets activated.
Easy Temperature Control
Except in POU models, there is a digital display in most Ecosmart tankless water heaters that provide easy temperature control. You can see the temperature of outlet water on the display and adjust it with an increment of 1-degree Fahrenheit.
Safe and Reliable
Ecosmart tankless water heaters are safe, reliable, and ETL certified. ETL stands for “Electrical Testing Labs”, and the certification means that the products have been tested to a certain level of North American safety standards, which guarantees safety and reliability.
Ecosmart ECO 27 Electric Tankless Water Heater has self-modulating technology that allows it to heat water only when you are using it. When you’re not using the water heater, it saves energy by not being on standby and losing heat.
With this Ecosmart tankless water heater, you can save about 50% in water heating costs. It is 99.8% energy-efficient, making it more brilliant as it is highly environmentally friendly.
In cold weather, the minimum flow rate it can provide is 3-GPM, while in warm climates, it can provide a flow rate up to 6-GPM. Ecosmart ECO 27 can provide support to two shower use simultaneously and Is best for smaller homes that don’t need too much Gallons Per Minute capability.
With the digital control system of this water heater, you can set the temperature and leave it, and it also provides safety and convenience when you need to see the water temperature and error codes. It allows you to adjust the temperature with an increment of 1-degrees Fahrenheit making it suitable for home use.
The simple and clean design of this unit will blend in no matter where you install it in your home. This water heater is smaller than 90% of other tankless water heaters so its size will not be too obtrusive in the home.
There is no need to waste time and water for hot water flowing as this water heater allows installation anywhere you want. All the water heater components are copper and stainless, which provide efficiency, durability, and easy replacement.
The Ecosmart ECO 11 Electric Tankless Water Heater has self-modulating technology which is a standard feature for Ecosmart. The flow rate of this tankless water is between 1.3 and 3.1-GPM, depending on the water coming into your house from the outside, which means this electric tankless water heater is not suitable for more than point-of-use demands.
The maximum limit of bearing temperature of this tankless water heater is only 67-degrees Fahrenheit.
Ecosmart tankless water has a digital control console that provides simple and convenient use. You can reset and forget this water heater again and again. While getting a tankless water heater, you should choose that can be most suitable for your needs, and again, this unit is really meant for one location in your home.
This Ecosmart tankless water heart saves about 60% off of your electric bill. You can install this water heater easily as it weighs only 6.5 pounds. Being small in shape and size allows you to install it anywhere you want, either in the bathroom or just install near the sink.
There are good quality components and this unit, like other Ecosmart tankless water heaters, comes with a limited lifetime warranty. It will provide you water when you need it instead of storing hot water like a tank-type water heater.
The Ecosmart POU35 electric tankless water heater provides a maximum flow rate of 0.5 gallons per minute. This Ecosmart water heater is a single point-of-use unit. You can’t use it with a shower or multiple fixtures, which is a negative unless a sink is all you need it for.
Prior to purchasing this unit, you should see the Ecosmart interactive sizing guide to get the model that can be suitable for you.
With this Ecosmart tankless water heater, you can see the output temperature on the digital display. It provides efficiency, durability, and easy replacement as all the components of this tankless heater are of copper and stainless steel.
The installation process of the Ecosmart POU35 electric tankless water heater is easy because of being lightweight. It has a compact size and weighs only 4 pounds, which allows you to carry it easily if you are using this in a mobile home.
The digital display option of this tankless water heater is not remote. You can adjust and alter the settings of the thermostat with ease. This Ecosmart electric tankless water heater is energy-efficient and can save up to 60%, so you can run it as long as you need hot water without worrying about the electricity cost.
The Ecosmart ECO 36 is a powerful tankless water heater that can provide hot water to run simultaneously from multiple locations in your home.
If you are located in a cold climate where the temperature of the water is as low as 37-degrees Fahrenheit coming into your house, this unit can supply hot water for two showers running at the same time. If your climate is warmer, say in the Southern part of the US, then this unit can handle up to four showers of hot water running simultaneously.
The energy-efficiency rating of this tankless water heater, which is close to 99%, allows you to save the electricity cost even after running the heater for an extended period of time. It has a stylish and advanced design with digital temperature control which you can adjust the thermostat. With digital control, you can increase the temperature with an increment of 1-degree Fahrenheit. Being one of the smallest tankless water heaters, it saves a lot of space, especially when you consider how much hot water this unit puts out.
Components of this tankless water heater are copper and stainless twhich adds to how efficient this unit is. The pipe fitting and minimal weight of this unit allow for an easy install.
With this tankless water heater, the max flow rate can be around 3.5 GPM. This water heater allows you to heat 3.5 gallons of hot water per minute, even at the low end (37-degrees) of inlet water, and roughly 6-GPM in warmer climates where water is warmer entering the house.
The Ecosmart ECO 8 electric tankless water heater has a space-saving design and significant energy cost savings. With this tankless water heater, you can enjoy instantaneous and continuous hot water.
This unit is highly durable as its interior components contain stainless steel and copper to make-up a high-end tankless water heater.
With a digital display that allows you to read the current temperature easily, and adjust accordingly, the Ecosmart ECO 8 is very user-friendly.
There is a 3-second time delay that provides safety to the person turning it on. With this water system, you’ll get many impressive features such as on-demand hot water service and limitless hot water.
The decent activation flow rate of this tankless water heater is 0.3 GPM, while the max flow rate is around 1.5 GPM. This flow rate allows you to get water for multiple appliances. It can be a great option for the residences having temperature around 67°F and above.
The system has temperature control with which you can increase your temperature in increments of 1-degree Fahrenheit. This product can be a great choice for you if you live in areas having more temperature as it has more flow rate.
Which Ecosmart Tanksless Water Heater Should I Buy?
Ecosmart tankless electric water heater can be a good and wise home upgrade. It helps in reducing water heating costs by up to 50% and also saves space. Ecosmart provides a longer-lasting and technologically-advanced water heating system. Ecosmart tankless water heaters differ in sizes available which will determine how many water locations you’ll be able to supply hot water with.
You can select the right model according to your preference by estimating GPM and electrical requirements. If you need a little assistance figuring this calculation out use Ecosmart’s handy interactive sizing tool.
Many different factors decide which Ecosmart water heater would be good for the buyer. If you live in South Florida, then the ECO 11 will heat one faucet and one shower as the inlet water temperature is 77-degrees there. While a person living in Minnesota should get a ECO 27 as the inlet temperature is 37 degrees there. Your climate is one of the determining factors for which Ecosmart tankless water heaters will work for you.
These units come with advanced technology that provides endless hot water even on the coldest days. You can some assistance from the Ecosmart technicians if you want to know which system would be good. They will provide you with support in purchasing, preparing an install, and in troubleshooting an Ecosmart product. You can consult with a representative of Ecosmart by calling them at (877) 474-6473.
Ecosmart Tankless Water Heater Troubleshooting
As with most modern day conveniences you may have to troubleshoot at times when things just don’t work the way you’d hoped. Below are some common troubleshooting issues you may come across.
There are two thermistors in the unit from which one is on the inlet side, having a yellow wire and one on the outlet side having a red wire.
- Firstly, turn off the breaker and ensure there is no power coming.
- Unscrew the front cover of the unit by unscrewing four Phillip head screws on each corner of the cover.
- Remove the white plastic cover and then locate thermistor on control board
- From control board disconnect inlet and outlet thermistors and turn on the breaker
- Run water for approximately 2-3 minutes to see whether the unit began to heat water or not
- If the heater begins to heat with disconnected thermistors, then you should replace these parts
Flow Meter Troubleshooting
The flow meter activates the water heater by sensing water flow. The LED display will illuminate once when the water is flowing, and if it doesn’t, then it means flow meter is not functioning properly. One needs to follow the steps given below to troubleshoot flow meter:
- Run a high volume of water so that if something is blocking the propeller from spinning freely, it will flush out
- Wait for some minutes to see whether the LED display gets illuminated or not.
- If the LED display gets illuminated, then you should stop running water
- Leave one tap in the sink for 1 minute to see whether the unit is heating water or not
- If lights don’t illuminate after running water, you should clean the flow meter as there can be sediments or debris in the flow meter area
- Turn off the breakers and shut off water to the unit. Relief pressure within the heater by opening a few faucets of hot water.
- Open the flow meter and remove debris by yourself and rinse it outs. You’re done so place parts back together.
- Repeat step no 5
Let’s see the steps needed to troubleshoot the connection of Ecosmart tankless water heater:
- Disconnect all breakers at the service panel and ensure that each set is giving 0 voltage
- Check out the voltages one by one across the sets L1-L1, L2-L2, L3-L3, and L4-L4. You need to turn on each one by 1 to see every set is giving 208-240V or not.
- If any set is giving zero voltage, it might be crossed, which means L1 might be crossed with L2 or such crossing. Correct the crossing if there’s any.
- Perform the same voltage reading process on all legs of the terminal block. The unit will not operate if there is not correct power to the unit.
There are always one or two inline fuses in every water heater which protect the control board against power surges. The following steps will help you to troubleshoot the fuse:
- Turn off the breakers and then remove the plastic housing that covers the LED control board.
- Remove round knob and unscrew the head screws.
- Open the round black fuse holder on top of the housing. Put the holder back together after inserting a new fuse.
- Now, to know whether the system is properly working turn on the breakers.
How to Reset Ecosmart Tankless Water Heater
One can reset Ecosmart tankless water heater by following instructions given below:
- Firstly, turn off the hot water tap and then turn it off with the remote control as well
- Wait for 5 minutes and turn the tankless water heater back on
- Watch what happens when you open the hot water faucet
- If you didn’t see any results and error is still there then repeat the 1st step
- After that, go to the error code guideline online. Now watch where do you find out the problem.
- Even after the above steps, you don’t get results; you should get in touch with a licensed technician.
How to Install an Ecosmart Tankless Water Heater
You would need to follow the instructions below to install an Ecosmart tankless water heater, but it is recommended you have a professional certified plumber do the installation.
Selecting a Location to Install
The first thing you need to do is to select a place to install. You shouldn’t choose a location where there may be freezing temperatures or a difficult location for any repairs that may need to occur.
It allows you to install it anywhere as long as you provide it with some suitable enclosure that can save it from rain, direct sunlight, debris, splashed water, and insects.
Mounting the Tankless Water Heater
With a minimum of 4 secures, the Ecosmart water heaters can be mounted securely. There are different installing positions for different models so that it can provide ease of installation and servicing.
When installing the water heater in an upright position, some models provide inlet and outlet water connections at the bottom of the unit while others provide on the left and right sides of the unit. You should keep 12″ clearance above and below while 6″ in front of the heater’s sides.
Plumbing Installation Instructions
You can call a licensed and qualified plumber for plumbing installations. Let’s read the instructions which one should follow to install the Ecosmart tankless water heater:
- One should connect the hot water line to the water heater outlet while cold water line to the water heater inlet.
- Allow the water to run for 2-3 minutes to purge all the air from the water lines.
- Inspect all connections, the pressure relief valve, and unions to check if there’s any leakage.
Electrical installation instruction
One should hire a licensed and qualified electrician to do the electrical installation of the Ecosmart electric tankless water heater so there can be no damage. Without shutting off all power to the unit directly, you should not attempt to install, repair, or disassemble the water heater. Let’s read the instructions that one should follow to do the electrical installation:
- Connect the wire pair that includes one black and one red wire
- Run the sets of wire from the home’s main breaker panel to the tankless water heater with a suitable wire gauge
- There is need of a separate ground conductor for each incoming circuit
- Check and confirm the electrical connections, the correct breaker size, and wire gauge
- Before turning on the unit ensure purging all air from the water lines