A wall mounted ac unit is an abbreviated way of saying ductless mini-split air conditioning system. These units have become very popular over the years for how easy they are able to be installed in spaces that previously would’ve needed major work to get air into, along with how affordable they are.
These wall mounted ac units have the capacity to bring either air conditioning, heating or both(!) to a location in your house that’s not part of your homes HVAC system.
For homes that are going through a light remodel, where the homeowner is updating a kitchen, living room or any other space that wasn’t part of the homes original HVAC system which used existing duct work to force air into spaces, installing these ductless mini-split ac units is a way to potentially save money and time while gaining the benefits of adding heat and air conditioning to much needed spaces.
As you can imagine the concept of of these units is to work by bringing either cool air or heat to locations without relying on the use of ducts in the process.
A wall mounted ac unit is one of the most flexible and convenient solutions at handling any indoor air issues that can be easily solved by bringing air directly into a space without making any major inconveniences to your life. Installing one will usually take a day for an installer to handle which compared to the alternative of extending your existing HVAC systems duct work really leaves you with an easy choice since adding to an existing HVAC situation can be costly and complicated.
By installing a ductless mini split system you can cut costs dramatically while ensuring instant relief to a specific location. Best of all, these appliances can provide an all year round comfort while also being the more cost-effective when it comes to your energy bills. Units usually come with remote controls that can be affixed to a wall to ensure they aren’t lost, and when the unit is needed you can turn on, and when you leave the room it can be turned off. It works in similar fashion to window air conditioning or portable heater units, only more convenient and powerful.
Below we review six ductless wall mounted ac units we recommend. We believe these models will give you the results you’re looking for, and won’t break the bank!
Quick Picks: Best Ductless Mini Split Air Conditioners Compared
How Do Ductless Mini Splits Work?
Ductless mini-split systems are actually the most unique of appliances. A hybrid model they combine that of a heater and a central air conditioner. This unique function further extends to its overall construction.
A ductless mini-split is made up of three main components:
- An outdoor condenser – This works to pump air inside of the system
- An indoor unit – This can be wall or ceiling mounted and works to release the air
- A conduit – This joins both indoor and outdoor sections together. It does this via a network of power supply, cooling tubes and condensate drain.
The Models Making Our List for the Best Ductless Mini Splits
Making it our mission to find those highly recommend models for you, we’ve undertaken our very own review of some of the very best ductless mini-splits on the market.
Testing out the performance of each model while seeking their most impressive features and additional benefits, we’ve also directed our attention to those models gaining some of the highest-rated reviews of satisfied customers.
The result is six of the very best ductless mini-split models on the market today. Better yet, these models won’t break the bank when it comes to running them when you need them!
Six of the Best Ductless Mini Splits
1. Pioneer Ductless Mini Split
- Save money all year-round with a highly efficient ductless mini split inverter+ heat pump system
- Ultra-silent and beautifully built: perfect for home or light commercial use
- Use for both cooling and heating 12000 BTU/hour with 19 SEER and 10 HSPF efficiency
Pioneers Ductless Mini Split is their WYS012A-19 Inverter Model, which is currently Amazon’s Number one bestseller of In Split-System Air Conditioners.
This is the appliance that its makers claim will save you money all-year-round. As a highly efficient model, this is both a ductless mini split inverter and a heat pump system. Therefore, with the Pioneer, you can both heat and cool to suit.
An ultra-silent model in operation, this is delightfully built to sit well in the home. It can also be used for light commercial use if preferred. At 12000 BTU, 110/120 volts, and in a sleek white finishing, this also comes with free technical support plus a five year cover on the compressor.
An extremely durable model and boasting a 19 SEER and an efficiency of 10 HSPF, the Pioneer makes use of permanent washable filters. Everything you need to get started is in the box, including a 16ft copper piping kitting. This is designed to be the easier of appliances to install.
In the box, you’ll find both indoor and outdoor kit, the installation kit plus a handy remote controller.
2. Klimaire Ductless Mini Split
- Klimaire highly efficient 19 SEER KSIV012-H219-S(W) DC Inverter system includes indoor unit, outdoor unit,…
- Outdoor Unit is pre-charged and accommodates up to 25 ft length of refrigerant lines. Includes a built-in base…
- Auto-Clean Function cleans and dries the evaporator to keep it fresh for next operation. Ultra-quiet low noise…
This Klimaire is both a ductless mini split air conditioner and a heat pump.
Encouraging a variable speed inverter, this gives 220 volts, 12000 BTU, and is a 19 SEER rated model.
An Energy Star appliance, this works to promote either cooling or heating power while doing so at a reduced cost throughout.
A whisper-quiet operator, the Klimaire benefits greatly from electroplated coils and a refrigerant leak detection. Outside of the model, there’s also a practical LCD display for continued ease of use.
A HEPA filter is also included here. What’s more, this is fully washable for ongoing use. This model comes complete with the full 25 ft installation kit.
Users can access a turbo mode and a choice of three fan speeds. This appliance also allows you to select an auto-restart and sleep mode.
An auto-cleaning system, this is a low ambient operation model. It also makes use of a dual-sensor whether fixed or remote.
Furthermore, this is the model that performs its own self-diagnosis and offers an auto-protection – making this a most durable choice of ductless mini splits!
3. Senville Ductless Mini Aire Split
- 4-in-1 Mini Split Air Conditioner with Heat Pump. Built-In Air Conditioning, Heating (Up to 5F/-15C),…
- Great for Bedrooms, Additions, Living Rooms, Garages, and Commercial Applications. Can Be Installed in…
- Whisper Quiet Operation (32dB). Energy Efficient Consumption and Engineered for the Harshest Climates.
Senville’s SENA model is a dual-zone split air conditioner and a heat pump, making it ideal for use throughout the year.
This multi-zone model ensures that installing this product is simple and straightforward, with the easy installation kit all included as well as 16 feet of copper line.
Utilizing DC inverter technology, this is an ultra-highly efficient performer and a model that offers dependable durability.
This high quality extends to its fantastic design, ensuring the model is more attractive when placed in the room.
Using 208 to 230 volts, this 18000 BTU unit is also an Energy Star Certified appliance, as well as being ETL Intertek approved.
An all in one design, in performance, this is a vertical swing function mini ductless split.
Best of all once installed the SENA remains ultra-quiet in operation due to its addition of Whisper Technology. This makes it one of the better choices for bedrooms and living rooms, while also offering practicability for those lighter commercial operations.
4. Senville Quad Zone Split AC/Heat Pump
- 22.5 SEER – With Heat Pump, Turbo Mode, Ionizing Air Filter, Dehumidification, Timer Function, Follow Me…
- (4) 9000BTU Indoor Units (1) 36000BTU Outdoor Unit (4) Remote Controls
- Inverter Technology – Help to Reduce Energy Consumption by Up to 30%. It Also Helps to Extend Heating Capacity…
Representing the lone multi-zone ductless system we are reviewing, this Senville can bring the heat (and cold air) to four different rooms in your house!
With a massive BTU capacity of 36,000 this unit has the power to satisfy just what you need to cool and heat your home. Each individual indoor unit is able to supply 9,000 BTUs to each room!
This Senville has a SEER rating of 22.5 which will help save you money in the short and long-run.
There’s a turbo mode so that you can quickly get your space’s temperature to a comfortable situation quickly. This unit also has an ionizing air filter, dehumidification capabilities, a timer function and a “follow me function” which allows the remote to act as the thermostat instead of the unit. This extends the systems cooling range which comes in handy.
We highly recommend this unit for either your home or business to keep construction costs down if you are in need of updating your air system.
5. Bosch High Efficiency Ultra-Quiet Mini Split
- COMPACT AND EASY: Aesthetic and modern indoor air handler with compact and easily concealed outdoor condenser…
- WIDE RANGE: 12,000 BTU cooling capacity, ideal for rooms up to 400 square feet, the unit provides heat with…
- ENERGY EFFICIENT: Energy Star certified for greater efficiency and lower energy costs – 20.9 SEER and 10 HSPF…
This Bosch unit is an ideal solution for smaller sized rooms that are roughly 400-sq/ft. With a range of 12,000 BTU cooling and 10,000 BTU heating capacity this Bosch is powerful enough to bring your rooms temperature to a comfortable temp quickly which allows you to turn on the system when it’s needed, and to shut it down when no one is in the room.
With a SEER rating of close to 21 this unit does everything in its power to save you money, which is something we all need. The Bosch is also Energy Star Certified which provides you with greater energy efficiency that keeps extra money in your bank.
The unit is fully programmable which allows you to set and leave which is ideal for any appliance that is installed in this smart world we live in. This gives you the opportunity to have an easy set it and leave it relationship for 365-days a year.
This unit does not come with the line set so you will need to purchase it separately or discuss with the installer as they may have one on hand that will work.
The unit comes with a limited residential warranty that covers replacement parts for 5-years and the compressor for 7, and must be professionally installed.
6. Gree Ductless Mini Split
- These Gree LIVO+ 16-SEER heat pump systems are built around Gree’s G10 Inverter and variable compressor…
- Required, but not included: 1/4″ x 3/8″ line set | Items included: Outdoor condenser, Indoor Wall Mount, and…
- Each Livo+ mini-split indoor unit is designed to heat and cool a single room, and will blend seamlessly into…
Our final ductless mini split for review on the list comes from the makers at Gree.
This is their UMAT24HP230V1AC-S model which is a slight variation on design type from the others as it’s a ceiling cassette appliance.
With 24,000 BTU, 18 SEER and 208/230 volts, this is the most energy-efficient of inverters and a variable speed compressor.
The Gree makes good use of G10 inverter technology. The result is an appliance which actively works to save you energy, reduce outdoor noise, and keep your room temperature steady.
This steadiness is further enhanced by the appliance’s ability to eliminate those harsh starts and stops that you may often find in several conventional systems.
Whisper quiet in performance, the Gree ceiling cassette can be operated employing an infrared wireless remote control or alternatively wired controller which is mounted to the wall.
Perhaps the best quality of the Gree though has to be its self-diagnostic system. These units will all run both indoor and outdoor continual tests on the system. This means that should any unacceptable operating condition become flagged, the system will rectify it or stop if for you to further investigate!
What to Consider Before Buying a Ductless Mini Split
Before you spend your hard-earned money on a ductless mini split, we recommend considering the following few points:
- How many zones will your appliance need to cater to?
- What are the sizes of the rooms you want to cool or heat?
- What power/BTU do you require?
- What is the SEER rating of your appliance?
- Is your appliance a quieter runner?
- What is the voltage?
- How easy will the installation be?
- Do you require additional support or a warranty?
- What are the potential running costs?
- What additional features and benefits would you prefer?
- What is your budget?
Additional Ways to Keep Your Energy Bills Down
With many household consumer reports suggesting that one of the largest utility bills for many households is for heating and cooling purposes, here we offer some simple tips to help you keep those energy bills low:
- Be sure to service your ductless mini split regularly. Sometimes a little bit of maintenance can make the biggest of differences. This is especially so when it comes to cleaning the filter.
- Try to reduce the AC level at night. The cooling temperature required at night is a lot less than that of during the day. So, if you need to use your appliance at night, remember to turn it down or look out for those models offering a sleep mode for this very purpose.
- Turn off lights – Though it may not seem like it, lights can indeed warm a room. Thus, if you don’t need them on, make a point of turning them off, especially during the day and when going to bed.
- Keep a fan to hand – Even when you install a ductless mini split, having a fan will allow you to decrease the amount of air that needs pumping into your room. Therefore, you can alternate between the two for optimal comfort but ultimately reduced energy bills!
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I maintain my AC Unit?
AC units need to be regularly cleaned for dirt and debris. This means not only doing visual checks of the system but cleaning, washing, and replacing filters, examining the coils and fins, and brushing them softly, as well as ensuring the unit remains sealed throughout.
What extras features should I consider for a ductless mini split?
Though additional benefits of these models may be a more personal preference, ideal features can include a dual-zone operator that allows both cooling and heating properties. Additionally, remote controls are the most convenient, as are programmable timers. Those units with reusable filters will also actively reduce costs over time.
Our Final Thoughts on the Best Ductless Mini Splits
In conclusion, it’s the Pioneer Ductless Mini Split WYS012A-19 model that gets our vote for the most effective ductless mini-split on this list.
The best-selling model on the current market place, this is fantastically well built and designed, ensuring a reduced running cost no matter what time of year you use its dual-zone features.
However, the remaining five models reviewed here also do a fantastic job of offering comfort to the rooms they’re placed in, all while actively reducing running costs over time.
So, if it’s an efficient and low-cost ductless mini-split that you’re looking for, each model reviewed here certainly provides a comfortable solution.